Wednesday, December 9, 2015

That Little Thing Called Looping


      This year, I moved up to Senior English. During my teaching career, I spent most of my time with the freshmen and a couple of years with the sophomores. What made this decision so unusual was that I was going to teach the same group of students for the third time. Yes, you just read it! The third time! I taught them in English I and English II. My son is also in this class, and the thought of having his mom as teacher for the third time was very traumatic for him. He thinks that I will follow him to the college level next year. When a teacher follows a class for two years, this idea is called looping. I wonder what it should be called if a teacher loops for three years. How about "Once, Twice, Three Times a Looper?" Okay, back to my thoughts about an advantage and a disadvantage of looping.
      So what is an advantage? Well, I know the strengths and weaknesses of my students. When they were in 9th grade, my main focus was on reading comprehension skills. Then, at the 10th grade level, my focus changed to essay writing mixed in with reading comprehension.  Truthfully, it was all about the EOI test that year. Of course, reading, writing, speaking, listening, and vocabulary skills were involved. Without  the repetition of the skills and strategies, then students lose what they have learned. It's like playing a sport; if you don't play awhile, then you get out of shape. You may remember the concept or the terminology, but you have to use it to regain that skill. Therefore, the focus this year is on writing skills, not for a test, but for the college level. It was time to move away from EOI essay writing to academic writing. They are getting a reading and writing workout. Maybe, that's why I was voted as The Teacher Who Gives the Most Homework.
      And now, here is a disadvantage. My students are used to my teaching style and methods. I had this problem going from 9th to 10th grade. I didn't want them to think that they were still in a 9th grade class. I have had to change some of my methods and become more of a Guide on the Side than a Sage on the Stage. I already set the foundation; they just need more practice and repetition to improve their skills. I conduct more individual writing conferences and treat students more an individuals on different educational paths. All of this innovation and writing curriculum is mentally exhausting, but if I don't, the students and myself will become complacent.
      Finally, I would recommend that schools use looping at all grade levels. It does work, but as I have learned these last four years, it takes a lot of work, dedication, and innovation to make it work.

     
   
   

   


No comments:

Post a Comment